verb (-gated; -gating) Etymology: Latin corrugatus, past participle of corrugare, from com- + ruga wrinkle; probably akin to Lithuanian raukas wrinkle — more at rough Date: 1620 transitive verb to form or shape into wrinkles or folds or into alternating ridges and grooves ; furrow intransitive verb to become corrugated

New Collegiate Dictionary. 2001.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Corrugate — Cor ru*gate ( g?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Corrugated} ( g? t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. {Corrugating} ( g? t?ng).] To form or shape into wrinkles or folds, or alternate ridges and grooves, as by drawing, contraction, pressure, bending, or otherwise; to… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Corrugate — Cor ru*gate (k?r r? g?t), a. [L. corrugatus, p. p. of corrugare; cor + rugare to wrinkle, ruga wrinkle; of uncertain origin.] Wrinkled; crumpled; furrowed; contracted into ridges and furrows. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • corrugate — 1620s (v.); implied earlier as a pp. adj. (early 15c.), from L. corrugatus, pp. of corrugare to wrinkle very much, from com , intensive prefix (see COM (Cf. com )), + rugare to wrinkle, of unknown origin …   Etymology dictionary

  • corrugate — ► VERB ▪ contract into wrinkles or folds. ORIGIN Latin corrugare to wrinkle …   English terms dictionary

  • corrugate — [kôr′ə gāt΄, kär′ə gāt΄] vt., vi. corrugated, corrugating [< L corrugatus, pp. of corrugare, to wrinkle < com , intens. + rugare, to wrinkle] to shape or contract into parallel grooves and ridges; make wrinkles in; furrow …   English World dictionary

  • corrugate — adj. [L. corrugare, to wrinkle] Wrinkled; contracted into alternate ridges and furrows …   Dictionary of invertebrate zoology

  • corrugate — corrugated, adj. corrugator, n. v. /kawr euh gayt , kor /; adj. /kawr euh git, gayt , kor /, v., corrugated, corrugating, adj. v.t. 1. to draw or bend into folds or alternate furrows and ridges. 2. to wrinkle, as the skin or face. 3. Western U.S …   Universalium

  • corrugate — verb a) To wrinkle b) to fold into parallel folds, grooves or ridges …   Wiktionary

  • Corrugate — Гофрировать; сморщивать, образовывать складки, образовывать рифли; делать волнистым …   Краткий толковый словарь по полиграфии

  • corrugate — (New American Roget s College Thesaurus) v. t. furrow, wrinkle, groove. See roughness …   English dictionary for students

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”